Are you squidding me? Time for summer reading again?
Every year, we assemble a guide that includes all our best resources to help put on the best summer reading. So quit surfing the net. All of your fresh content and helpful, up-to-date resources are right here. Your 2022 Guide:
The CSLP theme for 2022 is "Oceans of Possibilities." Need inspiration for a book display? Creative ideas for programming? Something that will make your patrons say SHELL YEAH!?
- Avoid the “summer slide”: This summer (and every summer) let’s keep the slide on the playground.
- Use graphic novels to get kids reading: This format is another great tool in your toolbox for reaching those reluctant readers. Bonus: July is Graphic Novels in Libraries Month!
- Summer search strategies: Including the CSLP theme, as well as books for your fussiest readers. You can check out all of our search strategies here. For assisting those truly reluctant readers, we’ve got an article here.
- Expand your readers’ horizons with a book challenge: Get readers to step outside their comfort zones and make connections between books and the world around them. Readers of all ages can ride this wave and complete a challenge, and we’ve got some great ideas to get you started.
- READsquared and NoveList are partners: READsquared is a tool that helps libraries manage their reading programs, including summer reading! Add NoveList recommendations to your summer reading program.
MAKE WAVES WITH YOUR PROMOTION
Your summer reading services deserve to be shell-ebrated.
- Expand your visibility: Libraries with Linked Library Service and Linked Library Enrichment can leverage ready-to-go, curated content from NoveList and highlight all the materials and programs (including summer reading!) offered to their communities.
- Promote online: Make use of your library’s website, social media, and email marketing to get those books off the shelves and into readers’ claws this summer. If you want to be the next internet starfish, consider starting a TikTok!
- Promote your reader services: Whale, what do you know! We've got a guide on our website dedicated to ideas for promoting your reader services.
- Spread the word: Get the word out about your summer reading programs with the multitude of items in LibraryAware designed around the CSLP theme. New to LibraryAware? Schedule a demo to learn more! If you have LibraryAware, find this year’s templates by searching oceans of possibility.
KELPFUL STAFF RESOURCES
Don’t be salty. We’ve got resources, practical tips, and ideas here. Starting with staff training:
- All aboard! Watch a replay of the 2022 Summer Reading Kickoff webinar where we toured all the ways NoveList can help you plan, promote, and produce your best summer reading yet! Watch now.
- Meet Learn with NoveList: Level up your readers' advisory knowledge or find new ways to promote your collection! Learn with NoveList offers the opportunity to take classes created and taught by professionals who deeply understand books and readers and how to work effectively with them. Or to learn from someone who has designed inventive promotion strategies to increase use of their collections. Read the full announcement here.
- Cruise through the NoveList and LibraryAware YouTube channels: Not shore how to best find something in NoveList? Need some quick tips for creating that jawsome flyer in LibraryAware? Explore our channels!
- Keep your finger on the pulse: Stay in the know and get content like this delivered right to your inbox. Sign up to receive our newsletters.
Here are some resources to bookmark:
- Lists & Articles: Want to quickly find content related to summer reading inside NoveList? Type Ocean of Possibilities into the search bar and select “Lists & Articles.”
- The Secret Language of Books: A Guide to Story Elements: Brush up on your appeals, genre, and themes skills and download your very own copy.
- Multitask with NoveList folders: Folders make multitasking possible, allowing you to find helpful materials for programming while providing great readers’ advisory or stashing titles to consider purchasing. We’ve got some tips on incorporating folders into your multitasking days.
- Search alerts: Keep up with content that you (and your readers!) need. Search alerts in NoveList can save time with the variety of things you do in a given day, whether it’s helping that particular reader, keeping displays stocked, or planning for storytimes.
Did we miss anything? Please let minnow! High tide, low tide, NoveList is by your side. HAPPY SUMMER READING! Sea ya later!