Resources for Critical Analysis
Australia/New Zealand Points of View Reference Centre covers 180 topics, each with an overview (objective background/description), point (argument) and counterpoint (opposing argument). Each topic features a Guide to Critical Analysis which helps the reader evaluate the controversy and enhances students’ ability to read critically, develop their own perspective on the issues and write or debate an effective argument.
Available in its own user-friendly interface, Australia/New Zealand Points of View Reference Centre contains a balance of materials from all viewpoints, including more than 700 main essays, leading political magazines from all sides of the political spectrum, newspapers, radio and television news transcripts, primary source documents and reference books. The database also offers guides for writing position papers, developing arguments and debating.
School Curriculum Support
Educators using Australia/New Zealand Points of View Reference Centre will find resources for enhancing curriculum delivery across disciplines. Here are a few learning objectives that the content in this database can support:
- Comprehend multi-modal texts through listening, reading and viewing
- Link and summarise information from different sources
- Identify embedded perspectives and evaluate supporting evidence
New Zealand Curriculum
- Understand how texts are shaped for different purposes and audiences
- Understand ideas within, across and beyond texts
- Integrate sources of information, processes, and strategies to identify, form and express ideas