- More than 370,000 full-text poems, both classic and contemporary
- More than 56,000 full-text short stories, both classic and contemporary
- More than 4,000 full-text dramatic works
- More than 2,600 audio recordings of poets reading their own works from the Academy of American Poets, poets reading works of other poets and podcasts from The Poetry Foundation
- High-quality videos provided by the Academy of American Poets and MacNeil/Lehrer Productions
- Nearly 450 full-text explications of both classic and contemporary poems
- More than 1,100 full-text e-books focused on poetry, drama and short stories
- Teaching and learning guides
- 180 lesson plans/labs from the Poetry Foundation
- Poetry Showcases from The Paris Review
Users can browse by author name, by poem or short-story title, by poem forms or techniques, by periods and movements, and by themes. The advanced search functionality and the browsability of the collection are high-quality features. Recommended for academic institutions.
— Bonnie J. M. Swoger
Poetry & Short Story Reference Center provides contemporary content from the finest publishers including Knopf, Houghton Mifflin, New Directions, Copper Canyon Press and dozens of authors and estates, as well as Critical Survey of Poetry and Critical Survey of Short Fiction and other major respected reference books and literary journals.
A Broad Range of Source Types
Poetry & Short Story Reference Center contains selected works of major and minor American and English poets, along with international poetry representing each continent (accompanied by English translations, when available). Works include plays and speeches, short stories and classic books, biographies, critical analyses, contextual essays and explications for important works, essays on poetic forms, literary terms, techniques and movements, multimedia (audio and video) of poets reading their works and interviews from reputable sources like the Academy of American Poets, the Poetry Foundation, and MacNeil/Lehrer Productions.
Recently added poetry showcases from The Paris Review highlight current and emerging poets and their works. Each showcase includes the poet’s biography, two to six poems, and an interview with the poet. Audio recordings of these interviews, as well as poets reciting their works, are also available.
School Curriculum Support
Poetry & Short Story Reference Center comes with its own dedicated interface that allows users to browse content by categories such as most studied poems, poets, short stories and themes. In addition, it offers supplemental teaching and learning guides featuring lesson plans and assignments specifically crafted for use with this database. "Poetry Off the Page" lesson plans align with NCTE and Common Core curriculum standards.