Spending time outdoors has been linked to numerous physical and mental health-related benefits from improved sleep to reduced depression symptoms. Additionally, with other benefits like better immune system function and increased motivation to exercise, most of us could likely benefit from spending more time outside. Depending on where you’re located, you might enjoy warm weather all year or you might have just a few months to enjoy. Either way, EBSCO has the digital resources your patrons need to make the most out of their outdoor activities, hobbies and projects.
Summer is the perfect time to discover a new favorite activity or take an old favorite hobby to the next level. It’s an even better time to get outside and enjoy the many benefits of being outdoors while doing those things. Digital magazines are a perfect companion for summer adventurers of all ages. Whether on a cross-country road trip, lazing by the pool or camping high up in the mountains, digital magazines are easy and convenient so you can access new activity and craft ideas from virtually anywhere your adventures take you.
Your patrons of all ages can also find inspiration for their next summer-themed craft or hobby with Hobbies & Crafts Reference Center. This unique reference tool offers hundreds of DIY magazines and hobby books! Each craft includes material lists and instructions for easy reference. Looking to promote Hobbies & Crafts Reference Center in your library? This promotional kit has everything you need to get started.
Below we’ve listed some of our favorite adult craft, hobby and activity magazines as well as some ideas to start the summer crafting fun.
For the Green Thumb and Nature Lover
DIY Crafts & Projects:
- Build and decorate a birdhouse for the feathered friends in your neighborhood. (AN 20373585)
- Try your hand at growing gourmet mushrooms- they thrive in the warm summer months! (AN 149343101)
- Create a nature journal to keep track of your discoveries on this summer’s nature walks. (AN 128764816)
For the Outdoor Enthusiast
For the Nautical Adventurer
For the Homebody
Home Projects and Crafts:
- Design and sew your own summer sundress using bright and colorful fabrics and patterns. (AN 161949709)
- Create seashell ornaments for a fun twist on Christmas in July! (AN 162860810)
- Keep the beach theme going with this under-the-sea-inspired picture frame. (AN 136005297)
- Build a cozy porch swing for your home. (AN 122808044)
For the Family and Younger Patrons
- Make your own Tic-Tac-Toe board, perfect for backyard or poolside games! (AN 161949696)
- Find tips on how to introduce kids to birdwatching. (AN 122089572)
- Design and build a treehouse or playhouse for hours of outdoor fun. (AN 101976962)
Want to learn more about some of our favorite hobby-related magazines? Check out this blog to learn more.
Flipster also recently received the highest platinum distinction from the Modern Library Awards (MLA) for the sixth year in a row. Created by LibraryWorks and judged by librarians, the MLAs recognize the top products in the library industry.
Choose from more than 1,200 digital magazines on a variety of topics or add to your existing collection using EBSCOhost Collection Manager (ECM). In addition to a variety of magazines and unique titles, Flipster is committed to high accessibility standards with the goal of providing a positive reading experience for everyone.
Already a Flipster subscriber? Use our ready-made marketing materials to promote your collection all season long.