As summer slows down, some may be savoring every last second of sunshine and some may already be pulling out their flannels for Fall. Either way, it’s a great time to end your summer with a bang or kick off your fall with some outdoor cooking and hosting inspiration.
In our recent blog post, we discussed the many physical and mental health related benefits of spending time outdoors. Luckily, grilling outdoors comes with its health benefits too which makes it the perfect excuse for a quick family dinner or for hosting a large backyard party. Unlike other cooking methods, grilling allows for loss of excess fat and allows foods to retain more of their mineral and vitamin content. Additionally, while some grillers may think of June and July as the prime outdoor cooking seasons, many prefer grilling in the cooler weather that comes at the end of Summer or beginning of Fall. Without the blazing sun, manning an open flame can be a lot more enjoyable.
Since many of us have been grilling and creating outdoor menus since the beginning of summer, now is a perfect time for some fresh meal inspiration. Below we’ve listed some top food, cooking and cuisine magazines as well as recipe downloads from Delish Quarterly and ChopChop Magazine that you and your library’s patrons won’t want to miss.
Magazines for the health-conscious:
Looking for some healthy grilled salad ideas? Add some fresh fruits and veggies into your next grilling session with ideas from the experts at Delish Quarterly. Download the free article here.
Magazines for the seasoned griller:
Grilling ideas from Hobbies & Crafts Reference Center:
- Elevate your next meal by grilling flatbread for a smoky, crispy twist on the classic. (AN 130253469)
- Explore different flavors with new sauces and marinades that are perfect for barbecuing. (AN 157925487)
- Want to grill like the pros? Find out which tools they use to create delicious grilled feasts. (AN 136476269)
- There’s a burger for every diet! Check out recommendations for the 15 meatless burgers you should try. (AN 131187329)
Want to get the whole family involved? Check-out ChopChop Magazine for kid-friendly recipes and beginner cooking instructions. Get started today with these free recipe downloads.
Magazines for the party host:
Preserving and canning your summer produce:
Have a bountiful summer harvest? Hobbies & Crafts Reference Center has tips to help your patrons continue to enjoy their fruits and veggies through the fall season.
- Did you know you can make jam from vegetables? Find out how to turn some of those extra legumes into a delicious snack. (AN 138032038)
- Learn some of the best tips for canning tomatoes. This is a great first step in making homemade spaghetti sauce! (AN 136734797)
- Not sure what to do with your leftover cucumbers? Turn them into savory pickles with this easy recipe. (AN 137273121)
- Become a food preservation pro by learning these tips for canning, dehydrating and vacuum sealing your produce to keep it fresh. (AN 152050034)
Interested in DIY or Home Improvement Projects? Check out this blog to learn about resources.
Flipster also recently received the highest platinum distinction from the Modern Library Awards (MLA) for the sixth year in a row. Created by LibraryWorks and judged by librarians, the MLAs recognize the top products in the library industry.
Choose from more than 1,200 digital magazines on a variety of topics or add to your existing collection using EBSCOhost Collection Manager (ECM). In addition to a variety of magazines and unique titles, Flipster is committed to high accessibility standards with the goal of providing a positive reading experience for everyone.