Applying a Critical Lens to the Study of U.S. History
Developed with guidance from Asian American scholars and historians, The Asian American Experience from ABC-CLIO explores the social, political and economic forces that have shaped the experiences of Asian Americans in distinct historical eras.
Extensive primary and secondary source libraries empower students to conduct deep explorations of key social, economic and political issues. Content covers a wide range of topics from perspectives on immigration and labor discrimination to Asian American contributions in the fields of science, art and culture.
Each student skill-building activity includes an inquiry question, background resources to help understand and give context, sources with guides to help answer the inquiry question, and a worksheet to organize student research and thinking.
In addition, a searchable reference library organized chronologically by era allows for easy integration with existing American History curriculum.
Time Periods Covered:
- East Meets West: Asia and Western Expansion, 1500s-1900s
- Early Arrivals, Immigration, and Development, 1500s-1900
- Era of Exclusion, 1860s-1900s
- Immigration and Community Building, 1880s-1930s
- Wars and Their Impact, 1939-1965
- Post-1965 Era and The Beginning Of Activism, 1965-1970s
- Post-War Migrations, 1970s-1980s
- Late 20th-Century Challenges and Growth, 1970s-2000
- New Millennium, 2000-Present
- A rich and diverse variety of primary sources, including images, audio clips, documents, and video, covering multiple dimensions of Asian American history and culture
- Perspective essays designed to hone students' critical thinking on issues of enduring importance to the Asian American community
- An interdisciplinary approach to understanding the historical and current experiences of Asian Americans
Database Features and Tools
- Search by time period, keyword or resource type
- Print, email or save resources to Google Drive and Dropbox
- Instantly generate citations in APA, Chicago and MLA formats
The Asian American Experience is part of ABC-CLIO’s American Mosaic database series, a collection dedicated to exploring the experiences and contributions of diverse groups through history. Explore other titles in this series: